Friday, December 5, 2008

Tic Tac Toes

I had been wanting to knit a pair of ankle socks for myself for quite some while and December Sockdown at Socks Knitters Anonynmous group at ravelry gave me a perfect opportunity. Now the yarn I was planning to use was variegated (self-striping) (Schoeller + Stahl Fortissima Colori Socka Color) and I could not find a suitable pattern that I liked. So I decided to come up with a pattern of my own.

So my three days' labor_ not really hard work because I enjoyed every minute of knitting these socks_ came to this FO:

I also wrote the pattern along the way. It was much harder to think of a suitable name. So after a lot of useless pondering, I could come up with nothing better than Tic Tac Toes. I know it is a bit cutesy but the pattern and the bobbles on the socks remind me of this game.


TIC TAC TOES


Materials:

· Variegated sock yarn as main color (MC) 230 -250 yards ( I used Schoeller + Stahl Fortissima Colori and used up every inch of the single ball. It will be better to have that second ball just in case)

· Solid color sock yarn as contrasting color (CC) small amount

· 2 stitch markers.

· Knitting needles 3.00mm dpns or circular. (St markers are used to mark positions in pattern and so the pattern can be worked both in dpns and circulars. I used dpns.)

· A crochet hook for the cast on.

Gauge:

6.5 sts to an inch in st st.

7.25 sts to an inch in pattern.

Size:

To fit 8.5 to 9 inch foot circumference.

Abbreviations:

yfwd: bring yarn forward between tips of needles from back to front of work.

ybk: bring yarn back between tips of needles from front to back of work.

S3p: slip 3 sts purlwise.

S5p: slip 5 sts purlwise.

MB (make bobble): (k1,p1,k1,p1) all in 1 st, turn, p all 4, turn, k all 4 and pass the right 3 sts over the 4th st.

W and T: wrap and turn.

PM: place marker

M: marker

METHOD:

TOES:

Using CC and crochet cast on method, cast on 29 sts.

Row 1: P.

Row 2: K to last st, W and T.

Row 3: P to the last st, W and T.

Row 4: K to st before the last wrapped st, W and T.

Row 5: P to st before the last wrapped st, W and T.

Repeat rows 4 and 5 until 11 sts remain between the wrapped sts on both side, ending with a purl row.

Next row: K to the first wrapped st, k wrapped st together with its wrapped loop, W and T.

Next row: P to the first wrapped st, p wrapped st together with its wrapped loop, W and T.

Next row (RS): Sl 1, K to first wrapped st, k the wrapped st together with the 2 loops around it, W and T.

Next row (WS): Sl 1, p to first wrapped st, p the wrapped st together with the 2 loops around it, W and T.

Repeat the last two rows until 1 wrapped st remains at both ends, ending with a P (WS)row.

Next Round (RS): Sl 1, k to the last wrapped st, k the wrapped st together with its 2 loops, DO NOT TURN, carefully remove the crochet ch from the cast on and pick up 29 live sts on a needle. K1, PM, k 27, PM, K1.

Break and secure CC and join MC. If using dpns, divide the sts evenly across the needles.

Next round: Unravel the last st of the last round and pass it onto the left hand needle. Now start the round as follows:

K1, k the last wrapped st together with its 2 loops, k to the end.

The first 31 sts (between the 2 markers) form the top of the foot and will be worked in pattern while the last 27 sts between the markers will form the sole and will be worked in st st.

Begin the pattern from the next round:

Rnd 1: K 1,* yfwd, s5p, ybk, k1, rep from * until the marker, M, k 27, M.

Rnd 2: K all.

Rnd 3: K 3, * knit under the loop,, k5, rep from until 4 sts before the marker, knit under the loop, k3, M, k 27, M.

Rnd 4: K all.

Rnd 5: K1, yfwd, s2p, ybk, k1,* yfwd, s5p, ybk, k1, rep from until 3 sts before the M, yfwd, s2p, ybk, k1, M, k27, M.

Rnd 6: K all.

Rnd 7: Knit under the loop, *k 5, k under the loop, rep from * to the marker, M, k 27, M.

Rnd 8: K all.

Rep these 8 rounds until the sock measures 8 inches from the beginning / or 1.5 inches less than the desired foot length.

HEEL:

Work first 30 sts in patt, jn CC, k1, remove marker, k27, remove marker, W and T. Heel is worked on these last 29 sts.

Continue heel as the toe, starting from ● (row 3 of the toe) to ●●. Break and secure CC.

Next row: Continuing with MC, k the wrapped st together with its loops, k 27 heel sts, k the wrapped st at the end.

Work 6 or 8 more rounds in pattern, extending the pattern across the back of the leg (heel sts) as well.

Next work 2 rnds in st st.

Bobbles rnd: Join CC, * MB with CC, k2 with MC, rep from* across till 1 st remains, MB in cc. Break and secure CC.

Continuing in MC, knit 6 rnds in st st. BO knitwise.

FINISHING:

Weave in ends and block.

5 comments :

  1. These are so nice! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yarn! I love the socks! but, I can't knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I really wish I can knit. Sadly I can't understand your pattern. I guess it takes one who's familiar with knitting to be able to follow the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look GREAT! I can't believe you made it up. They just look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your socks are fabulous! I can just barely knit a pair with a pattern, no way could I come up with my own like yours. Thanks for sharing it; someday maybe I will be good enough at socks to make a pair of these. :)

    ReplyDelete