Monday, June 29, 2015

New Knitting Project

Before my knitting hiatus, I had started this project. This is to be a top, with linen stitch detail, which is actually an attempt at using up scrap yarns. I cast on with a certain number of stitching, keeping in mind, the amount of yarn I had. And I had no idea what size it would be. Having three daughters, mashaAllah, means I can be lazy this way. It is bound to fit one of them, sooner or later!  Now, I am estimating it to fit a 5-6 year-old. In other words, my middle one, next winter.
I am happy to report that I am finally back from my knitting break, and have had some time to knit on this top, this week. At the moment, I have just started the yoke and hope to get it finished soon.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ramadan Mubarak

Ramadan (1436 A.H) starts here on Friday. Today will be a busy day, with me doing the last-minute, pre-Ramadan cleaning of the house, etc. My already dwindling craft activities will essentially come to a halt during this month, though I might do posts about a few ongoing projects.
May this blessed month be beneficial and wonderful for us.  Taqabbal Allahu minna wa minkum.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Belated Spring Sewing 2015

My excuse, for neglecting this blog for a month or so, is my being out of sorts. The burn-out left me with little inclination for craft of any kind. However, I had managed to do a few sewing projects prior to that and also cast-on a small knitting project. I will share to sewing projects here. I sewed a couple of tops for my eldest daughter. No pattern, nothing fancy, just a couple of simple cotton tops, embellished with some trims.
 The second one has a gather below the front placket and a box-pleat at the back.

 And, because I had some fabric leftover, I stitched a top for the youngest. (A similar pattern/tutorial pinned here.)
 I am working on another dress at the moment. Hopefully, I have enough fabric to complete it.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My Princesses

This project further proves the point that one does not think straight when in the throes of maternal love. At one such moment, I promised my daughters dresses inspired by Elsa's, of the animated movie Frozen. Soon afterwards, I realized the rather tall order I had set up for myself and tried to wiggle out of it, by using the well-known tact called procrastination. I hoped the girls would forget about the promise or move on to something simpler. But the "Frozen" bug is particularly tenacious at our house and it outlived my excuses for procrastination.

 Still, I took my time with these dresses, gathering supplies in February, sewing these up in March and getting to blog about them in April. The girls were very patient (which again shows the hold, the bug has on them) with me and even enjoyed the process, as the dresses evolved.
There were a few tears at the end though, when Amma (that is I) played Scrooge over the sequins. In my defense, I was finally trying to hurry things along, and hand-stitching that many sequins is both time- and labor-intensive work. More sequins got stitched on and we had a happy ending.
As for the dresses, my older daughter helped me pick out the materials.I looked around Pinterest for ideas and inspiration.The dress draft was my own. I decided on a detachable train, as I suspected it would be too cumbersome to have a train at all times.
 There are already requests for some more dresses, but I have successfully dodged them for now.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Updated: Family Hands Portrait

With addition of the littlest to our family, the Family Hands Portrait was due for an update. While I procrastinated, everyone who saw the portrait hung on the our bedroom wall, commented how it was missing a hand. So, I finally went to work and got the latest hand prints from the family members, last August. Since then, I have been slowly embroidering and have finally managed to finish it last month.The smaller hands have already grown a bit since then, mashaAllah.
The new version (right) with the old one.
 Now that the new one is mounted in place of the old one, I do not know what to do with the old one. I do not have the heart to throw it away. Maybe I could incorporate it into some other project, any suggestions?

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Knitted Yoke Dress

 Appropriate to the changing seasons, this project is a knitting/sewing hybrid. I used about 100 yards of this cotton/nylon yarn to knit a yoke and then sewed it into a dress.

The multicolored yarn does not give much stitch definition and may not be the best choice for a yoke, but this was the most practical project, I could think of, for this yarn.
 The dress fabric is cotton with a cotton trim and a satin ribbon for embellishment. It is sized to fit an almost four-year-old.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Catching Up

The past month or so have been intensely busy, leaving me little spare time to craft or blog. On top of recovering from my concussion (which I did, soon enough), and helping kids with their exams preparation, we were visited upon by a couple of contagious illnesses, most probably of viral origin. We are still reeling from the effects of the latest one. It has infected all the four kids, one by one, with high-grade fever and sore throat and has given us parents, symptoms of fatigue. Thankfully, this illness did not hamper the exams.
   One the knitting front, I managed some progress on my son's sweater, going beyond the armholes and finishing the back.

But the things are heating up quite fast in Islamabad, making me have little desire to knit a thick Aran sweater. Instead I am drawn to sewing. I have a couple of projects to share in the coming posts, inshaAllah.