Friday, January 30, 2009

February Girlie Top

I wanted to do a quick project and I had this one ball of Sirdar Spree, so the idea of a top for my daughter was born. For the lace part, I finally decided on the gull lace pattern (originally used in February baby sweater, I believe and more recently in Feb lady's sweater, which I also knitted a few months back). Hence, I nmaed the top February Girlie top. Although, it is winter right now, weather can turn quite warm here in Pakistan and quite soon too. So, DD should be wearing this in two to three months, inshaAllah.


FEBRUARY GIRLIE TOP

Materials:
· Sirdar Spree Cotton Rich Chunky 100gm ball(149 yards/136 m) 1, 2, 2 balls
· 2 stitch markers.
· Knitting needles 6.50 mm.
· A crochet hook for the cast on.
· Buttons…4 larger (2 cm diameter approx) for the strap and 4-5 small ones (1.25 cm diameter approx) for the back band.

Gauge:
12 sts x 20 rows = 4 inches in garter st.
Sizes:
To fit chest sizes 18, (20, 22) inches.

Abbreviations and Pattern:
Yo: yarn over
K2tog: knit 2 together
Ssk: sl 1 st knitwise, k the next st, pass the slipped st over.
Gull Lace Pattern: worked over 7 sts and 4 rows:
Row1: k1, k2tog, yo, k1,yo, ssk,k1, repeat across.
Row 2and 4: purl.
Row 3: k2tog, yo, k3,yo,ssk, repeat across.

Knitting:
With crochet cast-on, CO 56 (62,68) sts. Work 4 (4,6) rows in garter st,
Next row (RS): Cast off first 14 (15,17) sts, k to end.
Next row (WS): Cast off first 14 (15,17) sts, k to end. [28 (32, 34) sts]
Next row (RS): K1, k2tog, k to last 3 sts, ssk, k the last st.
Next row (WS): k all.
Repeat the last 2 rows another 5 (6,6) more times. [16(18,20) sts remain]
Next row (RS): K1 (yo, k2tog) rep till 1 st remains, k1.
Next row (WS): K.
Cast off all sts.
Lace Portion:
RS facing, carefully unravel the crochet cast-on and get live sts on the needle, starting from right end to the left.
Next row (WS): k all, increasing 1 (2,3) sts evenly spaced across the row. [57 (64, 71)sts]
Next row (RS): K 5, (yo, k2tog) rep till the last 4 sts, k4.
Next row (WS): K 4, PM, K 49 (56,63), PM, k4.
Start working the gull lace pattern, working the first and last 4 sts on each row in garter st.
Work 10 (11,12) repeats of the lace pattern or until the top measures the desired lenth (I made in on the longer side).
Next, work 8 rows in garter st, cast off.



Straps:
With the RS facing, and the piece held upright, join yarn along the upper edge, 7 sts in from the right centre back, pick up and knit 5 sts. Work in garter st till the strap measures 7 (7.5, 8 ) inches. (The strap will stretch quite a bit).
Repeat on the other side for the second strap.

Finishing:
Weave in ends. Sew the buttons along the right back band and two larger buttons each on each strap –for 2 adjustable strap positions. (No buttonholes were made because with the thick yarn and large needles, it is east to create a buttonhole between yarn loop as such, standard buttonhole would be too large anyway.) Block.

21 comments :

  1. Lovely! You daughter looks beautiful in this top.

    Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, what a great little top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented! The top looks just precious on your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Found your blog from Ravelry. You do very pretty knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very quick to knit which is a must with growing grandkids. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top came out really nice! I can't even think of warm weather right now. We are surrounded by snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet top.I wish I had a little girl to knit this wonderful item.

    Have a nice day
    Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely pattern! And your little girl is beautiful. :) Thank you for sharing the pattern. samm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! I cannot wait to make this for my niece. I looked through your other posts as well. You are one talented lady! Thank you so much for all that you share with us.
    ((Hugs))
    Anita, a Knitting Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable!!
    You're very talented!
    Your daughter looks so cute in this little top!!
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! The pattern and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. asalaam o aleikum, i came across your blog from ravelry. love your projects and this is so beautiful. i am not even married yet but my brother and sisters are newly married :D this one is a must make. i'll be casting it on soon...thank you for a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a sweet and lovely take on the February sweater. Hey, I'm middle aged but I would love a grown up version of that, lol. A February Mid LIfe Lady Tunic, maybe.. hee hee... In purple if you please...

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute little angel in a very cute outfit, keep it up .........


    Awais........!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is going on my spring list for my grandaughter she will love it. your little one looks adorable in it. thanks for generous sharing., lesleyx

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just love you bounce cardigan and you daughter look great in it
    you are very well dalented.
    I was wondering if you could share the pattern of this, would love to make it for my granddaughters
    please emaail at
    lov2crochet@gmail.com

    thank you
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ lov2crochet..Thanks for liking the cardigan. As I mentioned in my Bounce Cardigan post, the pattern is being test knitted and I hope to put it up for sale in one week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just tested the Bounce Cardigan, and it is GREAT! I found this completely independently, so I swear I'm not stalking you, Umme. Anyways, my DD picked this out of four options, so I'll be casting on. It's warm here (except for this weekend) mostly now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made this for my daughter. So quick and easy, looks great. I made a skirt to match it and am already getting orders from friends. Thanks Umme, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  20. just beautiful - I've filed this away in case I ever get a granddaughter :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Umme! I love this beautiful knit top you designed and plan to make it soon for my granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete