It is finally done. I kept going until I ran out of red and blue yarn. It is good-sized at 62 inches diameter even though I could not put as many color repeats as I had originally planned. The pattern goes quite fast and I enjoyed it enormously. I did many modifications, like using a larger hook, different color sequence and slightly different way of doing the ribbing. I started with black yarn instead of red, so the ribbing ends at the edge of that central black circle and there is no bunching at the center. My son is very happy with his afghan and the weather has turned just right for it to be useful!