Sunday, October 19, 2014

Cable Yoke Cardigan

It feels so good to have a consistent stream of knitting project after such a long time. Still, I am yet to get more than bare minimum knitting time, but I will take it over none at all, that seemed to be my lot, a few months ago.
   The latest project off my needles is this cardigan for my eldest daughter. This was a breeze to knit. (Here is the ravelry pattern page. I found the working link to the pdf in the comments). Even when there was quite a bit of finishing to this knit (this pattern is knit in five separate pieces), including the daunting task of sewing the yoke to the sleeves and body part, but it all went smoothly, and the end result is quite satisfactory. The pattern is easy-to-follow. I added a few inches to the length and a few rows to the armhole depth. The yarn is one of my local favorite, now discontinued.
 I just might have enough yarn leftover to knit a matching hat. And in the spirit of more consistent knitting, I bought yarn enough for two sweaters, this weekend. Now, I begin the pleasurable task of picking some sweater patterns.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Another Baby Cardigan

 
This baby cardigan got done this week. I found it hard to decide on a suitable pattern for this variegated yarn. Finally decided to improvise with this design, not sure if it worked. And as I winged the size, it turned out a bit larger than the intended 1-year size. It is more like for 18-24 months bracket. I still have some more variegated yarn to try and knit a toddler sweater with. Hopefully, that will turn out better than this one.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Striped Baby Cardigan


This week, I worked on this baby cardigan. You can probably tell that leftover yarns from some previous projects were used in this project. The short sleeves, with different color ribbing and underlying plain, full sleeves, might look like clever design elements, but are in fact improvisations on my part, as I ran out of yarns.

The pattern I started with, was Little Coffee Bean Cardigan, but these necessary, impromptu changes turned it into something else. Nevertheless, I still think it turned out quite cute.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Neville Sweater

I started this sweater in March and worked slowly on the body. Then it remained mostly untouched during the summer, only to be taken out last month. At the time of my last post, two weeks back, I was working on the first sleeve. Continuing on, I knitted both sleeves and joined them to the body and knitted up the fair-isle yoke to finish up the sweater.

 The yarn is our local acrylic, the pattern is a Garnstudio DROPS free design. I chose to make an adult size sweater for my ten-year-old, because it is a bit tiring when kids grow out of the handknits after a single season. My son can wear this one with rolled cuffs this year, and hopefully will last him a few more years.
The plain black part was boring and tedious stockinette st, and it was extremely slow-going, but the things looked up with the yoke. I loved knitting the fair-isle part. And the end result was totally worth all the slog.

The sweater has been well received, my son did not want to take it off, regardless of the fact that it was 32 C today. My husband also thought it was outstanding. And as a bonus, I think I got my knitting mojo back with this one.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Back And Knitting

I am sorry to have neglected this blog for so long. Things have been very busy for the last couple of moths, with Ramadan and Eid on top of the kids' summer vacations. I did not have much time for crafts (my kind, that is. I did a few paper crafts with the kids though.) and blogging.

But things are looking up and I have resumed work on the black sweater for my son. I am nearly done with the first sleeve. I am hoping to get through the second sleeve soon, so that I can start the interesting bit that is the yoke. A note to myself, however: black is not a good color to knit with, especially at night, at my age.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Spring / Summer Sewing 2014 - Part 3

The clothes for my 6-month old are done. I managed to get them done, before the deadline I set myself. The first one is a dress full of ruffles. There are ruffles at the bottom as well as at the armholes. It is a heavily modified version of one of my tried and tested pattern, from an old Burda magazine. You can see the my earlier project with same pattern here (the baby dresses).
 The second one is a two-piece outfit, a top with coordinating bloomers. This one is self-drafted. The yoke could have been neater, but it is still cute, nevertheless.
This post rounds up my sewing projects for this summer. I also sew a couple of shorts for my son, which saw a lot of rough use before I could do a post about them. And a few outfits for myself but those do not make for an interesting post.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Spring/Summer Sewing 2014 - Part 2

Our DSL connection has been out of order for a week now and shows no signs of getting in order despite repeated complaints. So I have had to borrow my husband's laptop and WiFi to write this post.
Today, I will show you the two dresses I made for my three year old.
 
First up is a dress with tiered skirt and fabric flowers at the waist. The bodice is lined. the fabric is cotton. Again the pattern is self-drafted. I made it a bit larger so she can grow into it over the summer.

The second one is the one which has the chicken scratch embroidery I mentioned in a previous post.
 Again, it is self-drafted with a lined bodice and a contrasting ruffle at the hem. The fabric is cotton. 

 This one is my favorite of this year's sewing.
Part 3 of Spring/Summer Sewing  2014 is under progress. I have just started on a couple of outfits for the baby. InshaAllah, I plan to have them done and blogged about, before the start of Ramadan. (Ramadan starts at the end of June.)